Time is Unpredictable

We can measure it, but we can't capture it

It’s been a fairly uneventful few days. The interview for the cleaning agency on Monday morning lasted about ten minutes and just consisted of filling out some paperwork, before the man (who was a great success with the dog!) handed me an agency name badge. So I guess I am hired? I’m not actually entirely sure. We’ll see if I get sent any client details.

On Tuesday my college friend Lawrence came round and drove me to my first singing lesson! The lady who plays the organ for the choir, and teaches the junior choir for their Dean’s Awards, agreed to help me prepare for my audition next week. It was only meant to be half an hour but we ended up being there for an hour and a half, with a lot of chatting in between some really helpful suggestions. I felt quite bad about making Lawrence sit and wait for so long, but he said he found it interesting too.

Then we drove to Shrewsbury and had lunch at a tea room, which made me feel very grown up, and spent the day pottering around town without actually buying anything which is quite an achievement. I’ve really missed just hanging out with friends, especially Lawrence who I’ve known for years and we always have a lot of fun.

Wednesday morning was my day for signing on at the JobCentre. I was told that my claim still hadn’t been processed and I should ring the processing centre again – the letter which Student Finance promised to send still hasn’t turned up, and when I rang them to find out where it was, they told me they couldn’t actually send one. Well. Why did you not say that two weeks ago? Anyway, I got a phone call today saying that my claim has finally been processed and the back-dated payments should be in my account within three days. Finally, I am not completely and utterly broke! Just mostly broke.

Today I went to the children’s hospice, and had a bit of a shock. The housekeeping team is made up for Eileen, Lynn and Helen, who do nearly full time hours each, myself and some other volunteers who do afternoons and odd days, and a lady called Barbara who does early mornings and overlapped with my hours by half an hour. Except that Barbara died on Saturday.

I didn’t have a chance to get to know her very well, but she was very pleasant and beginning to get over her shyness and talk to people. She had spent several years caring for an elderly relative, and the housekeeping job was a small step back into an independent life. She was only in her fifties. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

So that’s a snapshot view of my week. It hasn’t been particularly busy but it’s been tiring. On Friday I have another singing lesson, and on Saturday the choir is singing at the choirs festival and then we only have the morning Sunday service to give our voices a rest! Then I’m back at the hospice on Monday before Cambridge on Thursday 😀

It’s really odd thinking about how fast these few months have gone. July 2nd was the day I would have been coming back from Paris, if I had stayed. In one way it feels like it’s been a very long time since I left, because the whole experience has a strange memory-like quality to it, but on the other hand I can’t believe that so much time has gone by already. Only a few more weeks before I’ll be getting ready for university again, at long last.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s